read our STORy below!
Three generations of the Russo family make Rocky Peanut Company a staple of Detroit's Eastern Market since 1931. Their longevity is undoubtedly due to their great variety of local goods and commitment to the community.
Starting in 1931, Jack Russo sold produce, door-to-door, off the back of a truck. Jack's son, Rocco (Rocky) Russo, worked with his father from the age of 16 until he was drafted for service in the Korean War. When Rocky came home from the service, he took over his father's business; Jack Russo had grown ill and was unable to working.
Rocky became partners with his brother, Dominic, in 1957. Together, the two sons expanded their father's business into a major wholesale produce distribution company. Rocky purchased a small peanut roasting business in 1969, selling bagged peanuts to Detroit's Tiger Stadium and local street vendors.
The new enterprise grew beyond all expectations, and Rocky expanded the nut business in 1971 to a new location in Detroit's historic Eastern Market, on the corner of Russell and the Fisher Freeway Service Drive. There he prospered for 10 years before moving the Rocky Peanut Company to a new building nearby.
We now remain at 2489 Russell Street in Eastern Market.
Rocky's has been supplying Detroit with nuts, candy, dried fruit, local goods and much more!